AMule Project FAQ:About
From AMule Project FAQ
Revision as of 15:28, 23 July 2004 by Xaignar
aMule -- The all-platform Mule
aMule is entirely free, its sourcecode released under the GPL just just eMule, and includes no adware or spyware as is often found in propertary p2p applications.
- aMule is currently availabe in 25 languages.
- Support for Source Exchange in order to find sources for files more efficently.
- Large queues and the Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file they want and rewards those who activly upload to other users.
- Support for the the compressed transfers and server communication (using zlib), which means faster transfers for compressable files and less strain on servers.
- Support for Secure Identification, which insures that your user hash cant be stolen in order to inpersonate your client.
- Support for IP-Filters so that you can keep known bad IPs from connecting to you.
- You can have the traditional progress bar for transfers, percents completed or both.
- aMule supports systrays for both Gnome, KDE and other window managers.
- Supports Online Signatures, so you can brag about using aMule.
- Checks against aggressive clients.
- Uses MD4 hashes to find sources and ensure that the file macthes the original copies of the file, in order to avoid corruption.
- Intelligent Corruption Handler (ICH) helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts.
- Auto priorities and source management allow you to start many downloads without having to monitor them.
- The Preview function allows you to look at your videos and archives before they are completed. For video previewing, MPlayer or Xine is recommanded but Video Lan Client should work too.
- Support for categories so that you can organize your downloads.
- To find the files you want, aMule offers a lot of search possibilities, which are:
- Messaging and Friends system:
- aMule supports updating the server list from an URL during run-time or startup.
- aMule can also update its server list as it connects to other clients.
- PowerShare function: better handling of your shared files (release).
aMule specific features
- Checks against known leecher and other bad clients clients. These are banned. This feature is thanks to the BlackRat eMule mod.
- Slot allocation allows you to specify how many you wish to upload to at once.For example, if you have 20 kb/s for your maximum upload, you can set slot allocation to 10 kb/s which means that you will upload to two users with 10 kb/s each.
- The amulecmd command line interface and amulecmdDLG and graphical command line interface, to connect to your running aMule and get status or send commands. Works locally and from remote clients. NOTE: amulecmd and amulecmdDLG also work in Windows! You can control your Linux box from your office's Windows ;)
- Fast ED2K Link handler at the bottom of every page (can be isabled on Preferences).
- Save 5 sources on rare files (<20 sources).